Why is there an aroma of green bell pepper in Sauvignon Blanc?
What flavours result from barrel ageing wine?
What does ‘cork taint’ smell like?
Hundreds of different flavour and aroma compounds have been identified in wine. These can be traced back to different grape varieties, winemaking techniques and microorganisms.
At this masterclass, flavour chemistry specialist Sietze Wijma will explain the origins of 10 important flavour compounds in wine and teach you to recognise them. You will explore your personal sensitivity to the various compounds. The compounds that will be discussed include bell pepper pyrazine, vanillin and TCA.
How will it work? You will be given 11 glasses of the same neutral wine, where 10 glasses have a single aroma compound added. After the 10 compounds have been discussed, you will put your tasting skills to the test with a blind recognition exercise.
This is the perfect event for wine students and enthusiasts looking to take their tasting ability to the next level. Although there are no strict entry requirements, it is recommended to have a knowledge level of WSET level 2 or equivalent.
There are three themes available;
- Flavour compounds in white wine
- A line-up of 10 white wine samples with a focus on desirable flavours. A useful preparation for blind tasting exams.
- Flavour compounds in red wine
- A line-up of 10 red wine samples with a focus on desirable flavours. A useful preparation for blind tasting exams.
- Wine faults
- A line up of white wine samples with 10 flavours associated with wine faults. Useful for professional wine tasters who judge wine quality.
Interested in attending a masterclass? Look at the event calendar.
Do you want to book Sietze to give a masterclass? Contact him.
“Fantastic wine tasting class, learnt so much! I have been grappling to understand and identify notes in wine for the past three years and in 2 hours The Art of Tasting explained it all. I could identify flavours independently on the blind tasting test – thank you for making this experience accessible and to Streatham Wine House for bringing you to my local community. So impressed! Highly recommended 😊”